The best toothpastes for eczema
Toothpaste can be a nightmare for eczema, especially if you have eczema on the face. It usually contains a skin irritant called sodium lauryl sulfate which can trigger or worsen skin rashes. In fact, this chemical is used in scientific studies to induce dermatitis (skin rashes) to test healing products.
Unfortunately SLS is hidden in most foaming product including hand soaps, shampoos and cleansers.
So I recommend switching to SLS-free toothpaste that is also low in salicylates as this group of chemicals can also worsen eczema.
These following toothpastes are free of sodium laurel sulfate and salicylates. Note the Red Seal lemon toothpaste is low in salicylates, not nil, as lemon contains salicylates.
My 8 year old son loves the lemon one, so do I. For those very sensitive to salicylates the Alfree is your best option but note it tastes very plain.
There is a link provided when you click on the names. Note you will need to Google the brand names (shown below) to find which ones are available in your country.
Here are the names and ingredients:
Oranurse unflavoured toothpaste
- Hydrated silica
- Cellulose gum
- Sodium benzoate.
Red seal (Lemon SLS Free Toothpaste)
- Calcium carbonate: Mild abrasive and polisher.
- Purified water.
- Sorbitol: Sweetener and moistener.
- Glycerin: Vegetable-based sweetener and moistener.
- Lauryl glucoside.
- Lemon oil.
- Silica: Mild abrasive and thickener.
- Cellulose gum: Gumming agent sourced from plant fibre.
- Magnesium aluminium silicate:Mineral-based thickener.
- Lime oil.
- Sodium Saccharin: Sugar-free sweetener.
- Totarol: Antibacterial action.
- Calcium Carbonate
- Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate
- Cellulose Gum
- Sodium Magnesium Silicate
At Eczema Life, we recommend nutritionist Karen Fischer's low food chemical program (The Eczema Detox) along with additive-free supplements for skin health and wellbeing. Click on the images to view more details: